Hillingdon Hospitals Trust at 100% capacity

Updated: Jan 12

The Hillingdon Hospitals Trust is one of the two Hospital Trusts in London at 100% bed occupancy according to new data published by Sky News.


The data, accurate as of 5th January, shows 47.6% of all beds are filled by COVID 19 patients. The other 52.4% beds are filled by those in hospital for other reasons.


Commenting on this, Uxbridge and South Ruislip Constituency Labour party said:


"Worrying news that all beds in the Hillingdon Hospitals are now occupied. Shame on Johnson for delaying a lockdown for the 3rd time, resulting in our hospitals being overwhelmed. Solidarity with all the NHS staff who are working under immense pressure due to the PM’s inaction".

On behalf of the Labour group on Hillingdon Council, Councillor Stuart Mathers commented:


"We are deeply frustrated at the constant change of senior management at the hospital trust and the challenges that this has caused as a result, including but not limited to the number of beds available.


"The much needed and long overdue redevelopment of the hospital will improve the capacity in the long term, but that does not address today's problem. We urge residents to follow government guidance, stay home, wear a face mask, socially distance, and stay safe. If we can reduce those in need of hospital support, we can reduce the number of deaths. This is something we should all be striving for."


Currently, the vast majority of Hospital Trusts in London are at breaking point. To maintain safety, NHS improvement recommend hospitals never have above 92% of their beds occupied at any one time. 16 out of London's 21 Hospital Trusts presently exceed this threshold.


The London Mayor Sadiq Kahn has called on all Londoners to stay at home "unless it is absolutely necessary for you to leave" in order to prevent further spread of the virus.


We have contacted Conservative David Simmonds MP for comment but, as of yet, have received no response.

Hillingdon%20Vision%20Logo_edited.png

Hillingdon Vision Newsletter

Keep up to date with our latest videos, news and content

©2020 by Hillingdon Vision